Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Do-It-Yourself Apple Cider Vinegar For Your Health and Enjoyment

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is one of those super foods that is almost too good to believe.  Not only does it offer numerous health benefits but it is also very versatile around the house and for personal care.   You can find out alot about ACV at this page.  They will offer to sell you a book at the end of the page.  I have no connections with the seller, I only link to their page because they have done a fine job of simply, summarizing the benefits of ACV.  You can also do the research on your own with a simple Google search.

Would you believe me if I told you that Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) can be a delicious, refreshing and satisfying addition to your summer refreshments? I know, for most of you that have tried ACV, you are probably shaking your head thinking, "yea, right!". Sad but true that most commercial ACV is extremely acidic tasting and overly tart. Even raw, unfiltered, quality ACV such as Bragg's is missing the pleasant tasting experience.

DIY ACV is very economical.
You can use the parts of the
apple that would normally get
thrown away.


Enter the Do-It-Yourself, home brewed ACV with very little cost or investment. It is quite easy with not much of a learning curve. If you can peel an apple and measure sugar and water you can ferment your own ACV.  Most people I talk with about D.I.Y. ACV are under the misconception that they need a "mother" to create ACV.  My simple response to them is "not at all".    All you need is a glass jar, apple peels and cores (you can use the entire apple if you wish), sugar, water and a breathable cover for the jar (I use a paper coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. Keeps out fruit flies better).  It does take time to ferment, about 4 weeks, but very little effort.  I started by using this link as a reference.  One of the things that I have found fermenting ACV that this web page does not mention is that as the apple peels and cores float and protrude above the surface of the water they are prone to blue-green mold. Harmless to you, but not appealing.  I have a small glass dish that just fits inside the opening of my gallon jar which is heavy enough to hold all apple solids under the surface of the liquid but not so heavy that it sinks.  This has prevented the development of mold on my future batches.

We started fermenting by the quart but found that we drank it too fast to keep up and now my family ferments it by the gallon jar usually yielding about 3 quarts.  It is delicious!  It taste more like tangy cider than vinegar.  I actually did a pH test on my first couple batches of ACV to see if it was similar to commercial, raw ACVsuch as Bragg's.  My home fermented ACV pH tested at the same or slightly stronger acid pH than the Bragg's ACV, telling me that I actually did have Apple Cider Vinegar.

Most ACV pages will recommend 1-2 tablespoons of ACV per day to help with health.  It can be taken straight or diluted in water.  My family actually enjoys adding ACV to a glass of fruit juice, giving it a bit of a kick.  Another great way to enjoy ACV, especially during the summer is to make Switchel.  Switchel, or as it was often referred to "haymaker's punch" is as old as the colonies.  A very refreshing, energizing drink and an excellent electrolyte restorer.  No more sugary, caffeinated sport drinks.

Have a safe and healthy summer.

Yours for better health,
Dr. Heller

No comments:

Post a Comment